Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Tractor

The Tractor

Growing up we always had this red tractor.  I never really thought about the origin of the tractor I just knew we always had it.  When dad died the tractor became something my son wanted to have.  I couldn't imagine what we would do with it.  I'm not really sure when it was last started, but I know it had been a few years.  Two new front tires were needed just to move it.  Conversations were taking place with their other grandpa that did not include me.  Finally they presented the idea to me.  Grandpa Knox wants to rebuild the tractor with us.  If it was beyond repair then it would be scrapped.  It really was an easy choice!  Fine, have fun.  Even though I didn't act excited I was, especially to see it run again and be used by my kids!  Four generations of use on one tractor!  Not too bad.

What is of most interest to me is the fact that my father in law wanted to do this.  He understood Cole's connection to the tractor and he wanted him to have it.  He put many hours into this project himself just to make it happen.  It was neat for me to see Hunter and Cole working with their dad and grandpa to restore the tractor


My Dad on the tractor in 1978 during the snow storm.
The tractor is a 1958 International Harvester

This is the tractor being loaded onto a trailer in 2014.
 
Hunter and grandpa tearing it apart.
 


More pictures of the tractor being taken apart.
 
 
This was the tractor in pieces.  To be completely honest I didn't have a lot of faith that it would ever run at this point! I don't have a mechanical mind so this was beyond words for me.
 
Cole and Grandpa greasing the fittings. Its almost ready to come home!
 

This will always be one of my favorite pictures for now on. Grandpa Knox teaching Cole to drive a tractor that was owned by his Great Grandpa Joe Yochem.


Cole and Grandpa showing off the finished project!  They were quite proud with themselves.  To be honest so was I.

 
 
Mike driving!  He also put a lot of hours into making this tractor run!
 
 
 
 
The tractor heading home from Leavenworth Indiana!
 
 
 

The new tractor arrived home to our garage! A few happy moment for Cole!



 
Thank you for what you did Sheldon.  It was very much appreciated The joy in my kids eyes is worth every penny we put into getting the tractor to run again!  Its a memory they will always have!  On top of that we have a tractor that works!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment